Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Jury duty day

Well, I got a nice, little note in the mail about 3 weeks ago that I was summoned for jury duty for the county. I'd managed to not get invited to this special privilege yet in my life, and like most people, I dreaded the day it would happen. You guessed it, today was my day to show up. About 500 other lucky folks and I gathered downtown in the convention center and were told of our fate. Honestly, and all kidding aside, this morning was not bad at all! They told us a few guidelines then gave us weeks we could actually do our jury duty. I had been in mini-panic mode lately because it is marching season and contest season. The thought of being away from my students even a day is not a pleasant one! Last year I was apart from them for almost a month while I was in the hospital and recuperating from the pulmonary embolism. I know I couldn't do anything about that, but them being without me that long I know hurt them. Back to this year, they gave us weeks from now until mid November. Of the 6-7 weeks they gave, I actually found one that is AFTER marching season and before much else gets started...YIPPEEEE!!

I sat in that hall with 500 other people, and I was gone within an hour, that was a pleasant suprise! They called out the dates and whichever one you wanted to do you got in line for. They quickly collected our subpoena paper and sent us on our way. So, my week is Nov 5-9. I'll go to the criminal court and I imagine on day one is when they will ask the questions and actually decide to seat us or not. Kinda weird, I thought today was the weeding out process where they would ask you lots of questions...yes, this is all new to me.

Even weirder, as I stood up to get in line (my week was the next to last to be called), I ran into a band student's Mom, she had also been summoned and because of marching season she chose the same week as me...LOL!

So, I am now home for a nice afternoon off work! NICE! I am getting laundry done and housework and waiting for this stuff called rain and maybe a STORM to come. We have forgotten what that is around here and it is so dry. At band practice last night, it drizzled pretty much half the practice and that was pretty nice too. I am ready for a big, huge storm! We need the rain and I just miss the storms. Too quiet around here. At least the 105-110 temps have left and the mid 80s-low 90s are actually quite pleasant! yes, the anti heat gal is LIKING 90 degree temps! Where are all my sweatshirts????

Well, I need to go get things done. 3.5 hours and I pick the girls up to take them to dance class. Lots for me to do so I can actually sleep at night after band and choir rehearsals, and be able to fall into bed at a decent hour! I am craving a nap....MAYBE!!!!!

No comments: