Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Don't read if you don't want to see me complain

Yes, you can pretty much tell that I am in a FOWL mood. Band rehearsal tonight basically sucked, for a lack of any better way to put it. 2 of my leaders decided to skip practice and play the new video game Halo that came out today (among other things) after pretty much lying to me that they were going to miss practice due to schoolwork (not that I okayed that by any means and told them even that disappointed me and would hurt their band grade as well). I am LIVID...if I type a lot more about that I will give out more information that most of you care to hear about. Good thing is, I gave them 15 minutes to get to practice, and they got there. It was just a bad practice. One of my staff members decided he was going to try and switch 10-11 kids drill completely because of some holes. Well, I was only wanting to fix what I could without having to reset 10-11 kids for 30 pages of moves (we are talking hours to do that)! He started something that I do not have time to continue with while still getting the kids ready for contest Saturday. UGH! That frustrated the kids and me as well.

UGH...this happens every year at this time. Someone pointed out to me that report cards go out next week, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I am not sure. It was just a bad practice, and I am hopeful it is in the past. I'm still dealing with some of the problem kids from tonight....sigh.

I don't know what to say to the kids to make it all better. I want to wave a magic wand and say POOF..you are wonderful and somehow clean all their moves up without having to spend so much time. They are discouraged after not faring so well this past weekend...they are comparing it to getting grand champion at the same contest last year (mind you it was a standstill indoors last year as it was rained out). It's tough for kids to just think logically at times. So now they are down in the dumps and some are acting like it is not worth the time to try and fix things and do well at the remainder of our shows. Maybe they are just tired, maybe they are getting bored...I just do not know. This is the part of teaching that stinks big time. I throw all my time and energy into this and I just have no idea how to get the kids out of the funk they are in.

Libbi was sick today and came home early from school. Stomach stuff and just not herself. I am prepared to stay home with her tomorrow if need be. I almost hope I have to because I need a day away from the band. But as much as I wish that, I also desire to be there with them and try everything in my power to get past this hump!

Practice got over at 7 pm and I was at school until after 10 pm.

Just a discouraging evening. I hope it gets better. I am too keyed up to sleep..though I need it. And to think I was feeling much better today too.

No comments: