Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Elbow updates and more

So I went to the orthopedic yesterday for the elbow...not really knowing what to expect. I was a bit surprised they did not start with the usual xray. I went directly to see the doctor, who looked at it them deemed a cortisone shot was necessary. I asked him how many rounds a person could get and he said this was it for me. He said if after 3-6 more months I have pain and stiffness still then the next course is a blood infusion therapy. I asked what that was ,as in ALL my research on my condition I have never heard of this. He said it is where blood is taken from the good joint and injected into the bad one..to promote healing of the tendons and other blood vessels. Surgery then would be the last step.

So, the shot did not hurt...the asst. who froze my arm did a darn good job. I barely felt it going in other than a little pressure. WHEW! We then discussed a new type of brace if possible for when I play flute as the other one was hurting more and restricting my arm from going where it needed to to play correctly. They tried to find a skinnier one, but couldn't. So they gave me wrap tape (that stretchy, colorful stuff) to use for when I play that should still help and not hinder. They also gave me a different strap to wear the rest of the time, that doesn't have any extra elastic in it but is a lot softer than the old one.

I feel since the xray wasn't done, we missed out on learning if the degeneration the joint/bones is worse or not. In fact, I kind of felt like I was hurried along in my appointment. I am just praying it works this time.

I did not begin to have the pain and swelling for a few hours, but when it came it hit full force! I was reduced to my whimpering and rocking back and forth, willing it to get better. I finally called to see if i could take Motrin and got the ok and a few hours later was in much better shape between that and a nap. WHEW! You can feel the cortisone slowly work its way from the elbow down the tendon to your hand...it feels like it is going to explode them, very tight sensation from the inside out. I spent the afternoon icing it for 30 minutes then taking an hour off, then icing again.

By evening I was wanting a soak in the tub, and got it. I was able to use the good arm to get in and out. I knew I needed to arrange my bed so I would not roll onto my arm. Put my body pillow in the middle, to go behind my back. Put another pillow on the edge of the bed for me to hug and then a small pillow on top of that on which to put the bum arm. I normally sleep on my left side but can't until the arm is better. So I have to anchor my body to lay on the right side lol. I got comfy and fell asleep, and got about 4- hours until I was not comfortable anymore. I spent the rest of the night trying different positions.

Waking up, I knew I was going to have to figure out how to wash my hair. The girls were being helpful, but not much they could do there. I used my good hand and managed to get it done and felt a lot better!

The girls had their yearly check-ups at the doctor today and that went well. The girls helped me with my seat belt since my right arm is still weak and very sore, is so funny! I was given direction on how to get Libbi tested for possible ADD/ADHD via a psychologist. This will put the ball in motion for an IEP, which then will allow the school to provide her will help to combat it. We do not think she needs to be medicated at this point, but we agree we need to try and help her while she is young so she does not get into frustrating and bad experiences.

The girls were soo good though....got their fingers pricked for blood work, with barely a flinch! Not a tear at all, but it is sorta neat to watch the gal squeeze the blood into that test thingy. They both peed in cups with no excitement, aside from my fear they would knock it off the counter lol. Abbi was 62 pounds and I think 4 feet 4 inches while Libbi was 54 pounds and 4 feet even. Though as I type their heights I am not sure those are correct. I do KNOW they were just 4 inches apart. I will have to check. Libbi is way above the height norm...DUH. Both girls are above on everything. He also gave me a few names in case the school thinks Abbi needs to be seen by an outside speech pathologist. She has the same issues with her R's that I had. I took speech class at school and it took care f things. I really was happy at all the time he spent with me and my questions! I really like this doctor as he is our backup one. Their regular one is very hard to get in to see and he was the one who diagnosed Libbi with the staph infection in her leg and sent us immediately to the hospital as she was declining fast. He was so kind to her and us. It is sure nice to have 2 that we really like!

It has been a rainy few days here, and cool too. Yesterday it did not get above the upper 70s, and today it did get to 86 earlier, but then went down to 72 once the rain came. This has been the COOLEST summer I remember here! Not that I am complaining! I am hopeful we won't have a super hot August!

Well, that's about all I feel up to typing tonight, using mostly my left hand...the GOOD one.

No comments: