Friday, April 24, 2009

YAWN

WHEW what a busy week! Lots to share. Now, just where to begin.

It was a busy week with the Orchestra. We had to play a special service Tuesday evening to close a convention the church was having for the seniors....and Oliver North was the speaker. WOW, he is a wonderful speaker. We played a LOT of Patriotic music and while I sightread two of the pieces, it still went VERY well. The choir sang and Steve Amerson was there to solo. He is apparently a very famous songwriter/performer. There was another gentleman there also that apparently is in charge of handling music for large Patriotic/Christian events. Well, after hearing our orchestra and choir, he went to our Music Director and asked if we might be able to do a huge convention in Knoxville in October where one of the George Bush's is speaking. Sandy Patty is singing and Charles Billingsly will be there too. Apparently, a lot of people are noticing the talent of the orchestra! We are being asked to make recordings, being invited to be part of large, special events, etc.

Wednesday night brought regular orchestra practice, as well as me starting to finally feel better! It was nice to be back to something NORMAL after so much different. We had to get ready to play for String Graduation Friday and I learned Carter had written an arrangement of Jesus, Joy....for us. At first I was like BLAH, I have played that so many times.....4 pages worth had me cringing! BUT.....we got to page two and things changed DRASTICALLY! Turns out Carter wanted me to play this Irishy jiggy thing on piccolo while Molly played it on pennywhistle....OH WE WERE IN HEAVEN!!!!

Thursday brought two performances of the first grade musical at school. I had chosen a jungle program and it was cute. We spent each afternoon of the week working with the near 200 kids. The performances went very well though and their costumes were so awesome! I had asked each class to dress as something to fit the theme.....I had ladybugs, flowers, grass, monkeys, elephants, hikers, etc. They performed so well that I was in tears. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT that first graders could move me so? The band sure could, and I thought that pure love and joy for the kids and the special things they themselves produce via music was something I would not experience with the young kids. How wrong I was!

But, I am glad it is over. I'd been working on it with the kids since early February. We are done with all the programs now! Only the choir concert left...but that is all my kids only and 55 of them.

Today brought the String Graduation concert with the orchestra. The different levels of the strings classes all play one song each and they are just so cute....from the VERY beginners to the advanced. The special music Carter had written was used at the end and all the kids got to play along with us (on watered down stuff lol). It is a big deal to these kids to get to play with the "main orchestra".

I was leaving, and a girl came running to me and asked if I was one of the flute players...of course I said yes. To make a LONG story short....she plays violin AND flute and is looking for a teacher. SO, I have me another student. WOW. She will start with me this summer.

And the Trivia Night that I am always in charge of is tomorrow night. I will be glad when it is over. I've basically done this entire one myself.

Sunday, the ONLY thing I have is to play with the orchestra at the morning services. Yes, it is our busy time of year.

Onto other news.......my brother is getting married! I absolutely love this gal and am thrilled for him. We'll be going to the small wedding in St. Louis on June 12 (as part of our trip that includes Chelsie's graduation, a class in Michigan, etc).

The girls got their interim report cards this week too.....Abbi has some of the highest marks I have seen her get, though penmanship is still down a tad. Libbi got nice marks, had been behaving better but digressed a bit this week. I think because I have not been home. I SHOULD be home more during the week now.

Well...not sure there is a whole lot else to type about tonight. I think I typed enough.

No comments: