Sunday, April 19, 2009

Abbi's First Communion

Abbi made her first communion yesterday. I had ordered her dress online several weeks ago and while I intended to make her veil myself, I ended up buying a veil already ready (I only needed to shorten it). I used the veil material and a pair of white white Capri's to make her an underskirt to make the dress "fluffier". I was doing all this at 11 pm Friday night.

Dave had dropped the dress up to be pressed and picked that up for me, while on the way home from work I had picked up the cake I'd ordered. My Dad made it in town around 4 pm and once we were done with the normal Friday routine of dance and errands, we all went to Pig N Whistle for dinner. It was very yummy! After getting back home, I put Abbi's hair in curlers for the night. Dave's sister Michelle and Cam made it in around 11:15 pm, and Abbi was still awake.

I was wide awake at 6:15 am the next morning. I remembered my own First Communion and how special my parents made it for me. I finally got out of bed at 7 am and grabbed a quick shower, then set about getting my daughter all beautiful for her big day! I first unrolled the curlers and set forth to tame all her curls, but that was not difficult at all! Then it was time to get her in her dress and get the veil ready. I was aiming for having her all ready by 8 am, but it was closer to 8:15 I think. She looked breathtaking and so grown up. I know I will not see her this beautiful until her wedding day, though hopefully she will have many days that compare. Dave then took her and they went on up to church. The rest of us were all getting dressed and fed.

We sat in the front row. When I arrived at the church, I went to see Abbi in the room they were gathering in. She told me that she had been picked to take the gifts up during the Mass, and of course I beamed with pride...that is a big deal for a kid.

The Mass began with the 75 children processing in, stopping to kneel before the altar before taking their seats. They all looked so perfect and pure and I know without a doubt I wasn't the only proud parent for this big day. The kids were cute singing their songs and it was touching during Monsignor's homily that he directed it at them. He asked them several questions and I just loved how he made it cool and fun for them, without losing touch of the reverence of the sacrament. They giggled and laughed and answered every question. Then 6 children brought the gifts up, Abbi got to hold the wine and she loved that. She knows the importance of the wine/host representing Jesus. Then came the time for their main event....their first communion. They all did great, and Monsignor gently helped those who were nervous and forgot to do the sign of the cross or had their hands backwards for receiving the host. Abbi did go the wrong way after receiving the host, but that wasn't too big a deal because it only meant she had to walk all around the back then back up to her seat. The kids ALL did beautifully!

Afterwards, they processed out of the church and were whisked away to have class pictures made. We met her in the gym for a little reception and then took a bunch of pictures of her outside. It had rained earlier in the morning, but it cleared up a little bit and we took advantage of the natural light. Dave gave Abbi a rosary from a great aunt or relative from his family. he had Monsignor bless it especially for her too.

Then, we came back to the house for appetizers. I took Abbi out of her dress and veil, and I let her try on my dress...mine was above her knees (as was the style that many years ago, all lace and of course faded with age. We did take a picture of her in my dress just for kicks. She did look very pretty in it, but of course MUCH prettier in her own dress. When she and I were in my room, I hugged her tightly and told her how proud I was of her and that I hoped she had a lot of special memories of the day. I told her how much I remembered mine....walking down the steps afterwards and having the breeze blow my veil (it was attached to a crown my Mom had made) and then going back to the house with all the family and the big cake Donna had made for us. She and I just hugged and shared a few tears. I asked her what her favorite memory of the day was....and she replied when she and the other kids got to sing HIS BANNER OVER ME IS LOVE at the end. They did hand motions with it and it was darling!

Jennifer and her three kids came to the church and the house after too. Kevin met us, he had a work meeting. They then took off to get Connor to a basketball game, and we waited to have dinner when they all got back. The kids played all day and it was very nice! Abbi cut her cake and served it with only a little bit of help from me. She is getting so grown up....way too fast for me.

The adults decided were were going to head down to Beale Street for the evening and we got the girls situated with a babysitter and took off. It was pouring rain, so we hit the Run Boogie Cafe first, there was a band playing popular music and we went upstairs and hung out for awhile. After a bit, it had stopped raining so we walked around Beale Street for a bit. It started raining again so we ducked inside another bar, a country bar. It was not that crowded either and again I liked the music they were playing. BUT....I was getting VERY tired. All the adults had had a nap except for me, so I was beginning to hit that major yawning stage! We left around 11:30 and me being the only one who did not drink, I drove home. It was so funny...I HATE driving and am unfamiliar with how to get home, especially in the dark from downtown. They all gave me grief and heckled me the entire way home....it was fun! We were all very tired and went right to bed. Apparently, the power was off for a few hours overnight, I woke up at some point and it was very quiet and no clocks or fans on. I fell back asleep, until Libbi knocked on our door to tell us Michelle and Cam were leaving.

We got up to say goodbye to them then all went back to bed for a bit more. Dave took Libbi to Sunday School and the rest of us stayed home. Dad wanted to take us to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner so we planned to be up and ready by noon. It was an awesome lunch and so quiet in the restaurant! Just perfect!

It stormed on and off this afternoon, so the girls were ducking storms to play outside and then come in. We had a fairly lazy afternoon, just watching tv. Dad will leave in the morning to head to Columbus to get his RV to take it down to Florida.

It has been a very nice weekend. So good to see family and so good to see Abbi participate in one more sacrament with the church. SO MANY memories, I hope she hangs onto them for a good, long time. I am not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, but such is life. My darn sinus gunk is still with me and it is a very busy week.

Signing off for now.....

No comments: