I wanted to share the camp experiences at Chickasaw Park, while I still remember them and before things get so crazy here! Not to mention, they are still fresh in my mind from them going over and over the great times they had!
We dropped the girls off Saturday morning, and off they went. As soon as they arrived at camp, they got ready to go on a horse trail. Because the girls had all ridden before and had basic skills (previous Girl Scout camp horse sessions), they were permitted to go out no the trails! The girls went with their own troops, at different times. Libbi had a horse named Comanche, apparently the 2nd tallest horse that was black and white. I can't remember Abbi's horse's name :( The girls said they got to all trot at the same time! HOW EXCITING! They said they weren't scared at all, but it was bouncy! Abbi said they went through the woods, up and down some hills (and of course they told me how they learned to not fall off while doing that), and had a BLAST! They also did some archery, Libbi hit the target once, but Abbi didn't (she was fine with that). Then they went on hikes across the lake and in the woods (there was a neat foot bridge all the way across the lake). It was hot, but they did it! The campsite had a playground, of which they were permitted to be on until 10 pm. That's how we found them when we went to pick Libbi up last night...screeching girls! They made a fire and cooked hot dogs for lunch. They tie dyed shirts (that came out REALLY nice), and according to both girls, conducted SEVERAL caterpillar weddings and a funeral. They saw frogs, a turquoise spider (????), and lots of other animals and bugs. The had hamburgers and hot dogs over the fire for dinner, and s'mores made with what I hear were GIGANTIC marshmellows!
Dave and I had to pick Libbi up around 8:30 last night, she had to go to a First Communion retreat this morning, and we weren't going to arrive at cap at 6:30 am to get her (1 and 1/4 hour drive one way)! Dave and I took a leisurely drive there, it was so pretty, and had dinner at the park's lodge restaurant overlooking the lake. We could see the girl's campfire, though at that point we didn't know their exact campsite. When we got to their camp, it was DARK!! Libbi started crying as soon as we pulled up, she really did not want to leave. I felt so bad for her, but I also knew nothing I said would make her feel better right then. We stayed around for a few minutes and talked to the leaders, but Libbi was getting more upset the longer we stayed, so we left. When I got her in the car, we set to distracting her by having her tell us all about the horse ride, and she calmed down pretty quick! She was so excited! Once she stopped talking nonstop about it, she fell right to sleep. I knew that would happen! We've had such a crazy busy few weeks, and her day was so full of fun! She crashed and it took a bit of coaxing to wake her and get her inside once we got home. I had wanted her to shower, but she was just too tired so she went to bed.
Abbi stayed the night at camp. They had I think 4 tents, and had about 3-4 girls and/or adults in each tent. She said they had to go in the tents at 10:30, and were allowed to whisper for a bit. I guess one of her tentmates was a little scared, so Abbi decided to keep flashlights on, and all was good. I imagine they fell asleep faster than I thought they would...they had been going nonstop the entire day. Abbi said sleeping on the ground was HARD, and her back was a little sore today and that they woke up around 7:30 this morning, and had pancakes for breakfast (cooked on a portable camp stove LOL) and hot chocolate. Then they cleaned up, packed up and headed home. They arrived back to church not 10 minutes after Libbi had finished with her retreat! PERFECT timing!
You may think Dave and I were blessed to have both girls gone, but we were so busy! He and I had to help with baseball opening day, then we had a hamburger lunch over at Kevin and Jen's before the guys took off to play a WELL DESERVED 9 holes of golf. I did some housework and laundry and of course a shower! It got to 90 degrees yesterday, and was humid. At least there was a breeze! The girls had perfect weather for camping (didn't get cold at night either).
I sent each girls with a disposable camera, so I'm anxious to see what pictures they may have taken LOL. I HOPE the leaders got some pictures of them on the horses.
Anyways, it is now officially TCAP week! Passion Play (Prodigal) dress reh. start tomorrow night. It's going to be a crazy 8 days! I am headed to bed very soon! I was in bed at 10:30 last night and even after 9 hours of good sleep am still tired and trying to catch up and get ahead!
Of course, Abbi was extremely tired, and cranky. Libbi at least had a good night's rest
No comments:
Post a Comment