We just got past an ice storm that gave us a 4 day weekend! Were forecast to get up to 10 inches of snow, but instead we were give about 1-2 inches of ice. I can't recall the last time I barely left my house and had absolutely no obligations for 4 days. We spent Friday and Saturday evenings with our good friends, who live around the corner. Friday was a meeting for Little League Dave had with them, so I went along once we cancelled our Trivia Night contest at the church. Kevin made yummy french dip sandwiches (which my "picky girl" Libbi loved!) and after the meeting we played Mexican Train for a few hours. The next night we went back over, Dave and I toted along all the fixin's for breakfast for dinner and gosh after a cold day everyone agreed it was the perfect idea! The kids played and played and watched movies and ended with a "quiet game" that kept my oldest silent for long time. The adults played Mexican Train again and enjoyed the brain break from normal life.
Sunday brought a bit of a thaw, and drips inside our house in the front...the office and the foyer. On the front of our house, there are 2 places where a few roofs meet and the ice built up there. As it melted, water was forced to go behind the flashing and into the attic and down the walls in a few spots. We had buckets and rubbermaid tubs catching the drips. By nightfall it froze again and we feared what Monday would bring. However, Monday we had no drips and not today either. We spoke to a contractor who said all we can do is let it dry out, hope for the best and re-caulk the flashing once the weather warms up some and the roof is all dry. We will need to paint the dining room...no big, huge damage but enough to cause a little issue in one area by one of our columns.
So, I'll try to catch up! The girls are great! Libbi's reading is coming along really well. her spelling is too! She does have a few issues with talking too much or not following directions and we continue working on those. The girls were given DS's for Christmas so they hate getting those taken away when they have behavior issues at school or at home. Libbi's grades are coming up steadily and she loves learning! We still fight during homework some, but it gets done and we've learned some tricks to help make it more bearable. Abbi is doing well, bt starting to rush in her reading. Therefore, tests on reading comprehension are Bs and Cs. She has As in everything else. Both girls have wonderful teachers and they adore their new school. Both are still dancing and doing great with that! They danced with the company at a few nursing home and enjoyed that! Abbi was asked to be in full company, which meant she got to learn the parade dance and do that. Libbi still rode in the back of the truck for the parade but LOVED it! We are hoping their schedule allows for them to be in the Little League that Dave and a friend are starting here in our town. We have to wait and see. Right now, the girls are busy learning the dances for their recital in May.
Not a lot different with Dave and I. Still busy with our things we do. I was able to participate in a neat event in October with the Orchestra. We were selected to go perform with the choir in Gatlingburg at a conference for older adults. The keynote speaker was George Bush. We opened up for him and he sat about 30 feet from me. It was a wonderful experience! We were checked by Secret Service and it just was neat. Right after that, the orchestra performed in our annual EVENING OF ELEGANCE...basically our classical concert. We performed 3 of Holst's PLANETS (Mars, Jupiter and Venus) as well as the beautiful and lush Rachmanninoff Symphony #2 mvt 3. It was some tough stuff and I had to practice a lot as I was principal flute for this. December brought the SINGING CHRISTMAS TREE and it was so much fun! My flute decided to die on me, and for the past 2 months I have been using a loaner from the music store until I can purchase a new one. Then I played MAJESTY, some beautiful Christmas sacred music. Now we are in a bit of a lull and really doing just Sunday services and a few nursing home performances. They are not doing the PASSION PLAY this year so it can be completely redone. I am sad, yet relieved to not have that to focus all my time and efforts on. I find enough to keep me busy!
The arm is NOT doing well. It is stiff and sore all the time. I am great at ignoring it now. Dave has submitted his paperwork to the VA to have his ankle operated on to repair broken bones from his time in the military and they misdiagnosed it as a sprain. It cracks and creaks all the time and he wants to be able to walk when he is older! Once he gets approval, then he will have that done. He'll be off the foot for an undetermined amount of time. Surgery is next for me as well, but our insurance wont cover all of it, nor do I wish to be out of commission while Dave is. So, I will try and wait until he is done. The VS determines everything with him, he has no choices.
We spent Christmas/New Years in Florida on the beach, in a condo with Dave's sisters. It was amazing! I'll devote another post to that, but with temps ranging from 30-75 we had fun and were able to spend time with all our parents who live there.
I am LOVING my job and know God put me in the right place. I laugh so much and have a lot of fun teaching these kids about music. The endless hugs and smiles from all the kids and their energy in my class is worth it all, even if I am dead tired!
My family is well....my sister had another baby boy on Dec. 10.
I'll get some pictures up soon, I promise. For now though, I need to head to bed and try to ward off a cold trying to take me over. I did not sleep well the past two nights so I'd like to tonight.
Love to all....
No comments:
Post a Comment