Monday, September 14, 2009

Finally...

A real post. I had to make myself sit and do it lol. It's true, Facebook renders one almost unable to keep up with blogs! OK, that and school starting and zapping my free time.

Where to begin, so so much!

OK,the girls....

Abbi is in third grade and has Mrs. Myers. Abbi simply adores her and is doing awesome! She is my girl who never needs help with homework and is self-motivated. Of course we check all her homework though! She was recently tested and accepted into, the speech program at school. She has troubles with some of her R's...just like her momma!

Libbi is in 1st grade and has Ms. Sanders. I was super worried the first week of school when her spelling words included words like purple and green and black.....my girl had a LOT of trouble with spelling even the simple words last year. And let's not discuss how awful the words were that she needed to read last year that sounded nothing like they looked, or broke the "rules". But, by the second week of school, the spelling words were far easier. All twelve of them, and she and I made a breakthrough of epic proportions! She began to love reading, get it, and was finally excited for spelling words, learning to read them and make them stick in her brain. GLORY BE!!! It'd been far easier sailing since then (thank you LORD). Her conduct has it's off days, but I see her trying very hard and it looks as if she is getting a lot of help at school to make the right choices.

They have both settled in wonderfully at Donelson Elementary. They love all their teachers and the new school. After school, they go to a friend's house for a few hours. We decided it was silly to pay TRIPLE the $ for them to go to daycare after school only. My friend has an awesome routine the 3 days they go there, and homework is done and checked before we pick them up. PLUS, the bonus is they get to see their good friends each day. The other 2 days Dave picks them up and takes them to dance class, which begins early those days. I can't make it home to get them in time.

Abbi began rehearsals with the children's choir at church a few weeks ago and it is going great! She LOVES it! Libbi even showed interest and started last weekend too. I am thrilled my girls are in music. They are singing a song this weekend at two of the Masses that was composed by the director, wanna take bets on me crying??

The girls turned 6 and 8 a month ago. I made them a cake and we kept it low key. We'd decided to wait a month before having their birthday party, so they could invite friends from school. The party was this past Saturday. About 15 kids here for hot dogs, cake and ice cream. It was fun and I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad it lasted just two hours. I was ready to get my house back lol. The girls loved it and got some fun gifts. Remind me though, next year is GIRLS ONLY. The boys spent the time trying to hide from the girls and the girls spent the time trying to bother the boys.

Me, gosh it has been busy! I absolutely love school this year. I really have great classes and the new administration is settling in nicely. It is definitely a change, but it's going well. The 4th graders have their program performance this Thursday, EVERYDAY HEROES. Today was the first joint rehearsal and I was VERY pleased.

My elbow is not doing much better. I have reached the point of just ignoring it. It's stiff and a little painful at times, but is not intolerable. Surgery is probably inevitable, but we cannot afford it right now, nor do I wish to take off 3-6 months from playing flute. Not to mention how tough it would make teaching music.

I have two new flute students at B'vue. One is a beginner and the other has played a year. I am FLOORED by these young ladies! They are such a joy to teach and are determined to be great! Orchestra is super busy preparing for our Sevierville trip and for our classical concert. We are playing Holst's PLANETS (Jupiter and Mars for sure, others TBA) and the Rachmaninoff's Symphony # 2 mvt 3, among other things. SUCH fun and such a challenge too.

I was diagnosed last week with the flu and a sinus infection. Doctor gave me Tamiflu and a strong antibiotic. They are KICKIN' MY BUTT! I missed a day and a half last week, but did return to school today. The medications make me not real hungry (not that THAT is a problem) and I have lost about 6 pounds since Thursday last week. I also get a little dizzy for a few hours right after taking the meds. BUT.....I am finally feeling relief and am very happy mine seems to have been a mild case. Now, to stay healthy and keep my kids healthy. Swine flu has been diagnosed in my neighborhood. In fact, that is probably what I had...they said this time of year most who have flu have the swine variety since the regular flu comes later typically.

My Dad is making the rounds visiting all us kids. He should be in St. Louis now and will be here later this week. The girls are very excited!

Dave is doing well. He stays busy with the Knights and spent this past weekend rebuilding the fence at the priests house.

We have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with Myleoma cancer. It came a a surprise, after a sudden, awful series of symptoms that left her very sick and in the hospital. She is already on chemo and at some point will be having a stem cell transplant. Scary stuff and reminds us of our own mortality.

I know this is still not my usual LONG update, but at least it's something. I am tired and need to take my meds and get some rest. It is raining and perfect sleeping weather.

No comments: