My oldest has had at least a month to complete a slew of assignments online for Reading/Language Arts. She's told me steadily since then she has been working on the assignments, I assumed she was. Even if I check the online portal, it is hard to see what is done and what isn't, and know just exactly what needs done. She knows VERY well. She took her laptop with her last night when Dave and I were gone for 4 hours at a company dinner.....seemingly to finish what she had left. She instead chose to play and not at all touch the laptop, or at least the assignments. When she sat down to do what I thought were a few simple assignments, it became clear she had MANY left to finish. She can't finish them unless she scores high enough to pass them individually. 3 hours ago she said she had 7 left, and because she is not reading carefully and answering incorrectly, she still has 7 left.
She already has a failing grade for her AR points, didn't come close to meeting her goal for this nine weeks. She simply cannot have yet another big failing grade for this also. I won't let her, nor in reality does she want it. So, the harsh reality is that she is still awake, working to complete the work. She is selecting AR books that are too advanced or complicated, due to "it's worth a lot of points so I can earn them all in one or two swoops" instead of shorter/easier books worth less points. Her teacher and I have both spoken to her about this, but she still managed to earn 0 of the required 15 points. Oh, she's plenty smart, but she's into this rushing thing and it's now bitten her in the butt not once, but twice. Her grade will suffer greatly for it.
Her bedtime is typically 8:30 pm, but it's now 10:40 pm and she still up. Dave has gone to bed, I want to go to bed. I want my daughter to get the sleep she needs.
I am angry with her, she is angry with herself...the workload is tough, but she can handle it. She's in APEX, she loves school and schoolwork (this is not me simply putting words out there, it's true! My other daughter is a bit the opposite). She completes her regular homework and regular studying well before due dates. She's getting lazy, and the lies...oh man! She lies about everything, and gets caught every time. She's been grounded, lost her tv, and many other perks, but it just does not sink in to her. If she was simply overwhelmed, I would have some compassion, but her lies about working on this stuff the past few weeks when she didn't boggles my mind! I don't think she realized just how much work she was blowing off until it became clear tonight. At 8:30 pm she said she had 7 left to do, and it was taking her about 5 minutes to do each assignment....but here we still sit.
I am tired, I have performances tomorrow, I feel for her that she will be exhausted at school tomorrow, but she's staying up until she finishes these. I have told her that if this happens again the next nine weeks, that I will remove her from the APEX program (which she ADORES), school choir, and the scrabble club she begged us to allow her to join. This in order to give her time to complete her work accurately. She can do it, but not when she is rushed or trying to do things way over her level just to do it. If any of you reading this even begin to think she is too taxed with her time in the other activities, that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is all about choices she is or isn't making with the loads of time she does have, and not using it wisely (or at all).
NOT a fun Mommy day here, it's been a struggle for a few weeks with her.
It's 11 pm, she's been on the computer working since 7 pm.
11 pm and I want to cry I am so tired and need sleep! I'm stressed with so many things, and questioning several things in life. This new teacher evaluation system is just enough to send me into a frenzy, on top of Abbi's issues. When is fall break? I need it, my girls need it.
I feel better having got that off my chest.
No comments:
Post a Comment