Thursday, April 25, 2013

K of C State Convention Eve

WHEW!!!  Yes, imagine that, life got busy again!  I'm sitting here in the silence of my house, it is fairly clean and straight, the night before the last day of TCAP testing, and tomorrow after school we leave for Nashville for the state convention.  Dave is already there.  In other words, I am enjoying this clean and quiet house.  Only the washer and dryer are running, both girls are in bed.

So, that "friend" I talked about, is gone from my life.  I'm sad, but I got over it and am a better person because of it.  I can't dwell on the past, but instead need to embrace my current and FORGE AHEAD!!!

So much going on, I'm not even sure where to begin.  The last month of school is always a whirlwind, not to mention with softball in full swing, dance recital coming up soon, Memphis in May International BBQ Contest (Dave), and a lot more.  It's all things I really enjoy, and while it makes it so we aren't all together as a family much, we are together nonetheless.

I was in Oklahoma City last week, with the choir and orchestra, performing at a convention where George W. Bush was the speaker.  When asked by this particular convention to come speak, he has one stipulation, that our choir/orch. is there.  So, for the second time in my life (with the same group), I performed for a past president of the USA.  Again, my music has lead me to some pretty neat places!  We also performed at the VA home there, and were able to eat at some REALLY good places (Trapper Fish House, Crabtown, etc).  The most poignant part of the trip though was attending the Oklahoma City Murrah Building bombing memorial site.  We weren't sure it would be open, because it was the eve of the anniversary of the bombing, but it was.  We walked around the beautiful memorial that was constructed to honor the victims, many of the children in a daycare that was crushed when the building collapsed.  Being there made it just seem surreal that it was just an ordinary building, in an ordinary downtown, an ordinary day...but then things changed forever in an instant.  With the Boston Marathon bombing taking place the same week, it was just strange to think that things so ordinary became so unordinary.

TCAP testing is going well for us!  I've ended up testing a student who needed to be one on one testing, and I am enjoying it...as much as one can enjoy that sort of thing.  Tomorrow is the last day of TCAP, my girls said they have been doing well they think.  I know we are all looking forward to tomorrow afternoon!  Next week begins testing for grades K-2, so another week of a strange schedule.

So, we head to Nashville this weekend.  Dave is on the State Church Committee, and slated to probably very soon because a District Master, so he's basically holding a state position.  Jen and the kids and I will drive up tomorrow evening, in time to enjoy a leisurely Saturday morning with the kids swimming at the hotel, and then the State Convention Mass.  Our daughters were asked to altar serve, and the Bishop will be presiding...they are pretty excited, and I'm just a wee bit proud!  That night it's the big grand banquet dinner and awards.  I have a new outfit, along with cute shoes that AREN'T "Jennie like", but darn cute!  Sunday we'll hang out in the hotel pool again probably while Dave attends state meetings.  It was so nice last week to be in Oklahoma and not have to worry about what day it was and take a brain break form everything, but this weekend it will be especially nice to be with my family and our best friends!

This past weekend, the "Europe Orchestra" had our professional picture made in the church courtyard.  This will be used on our brochure that we will be handing out to those who attend our performances while we are there!  We're meeting more now as a whole group (36 of us are going) to work on the music.  It's such a blessing to be able to have the opportunity to go!

Tuesday, I had my permanent crown put on my tooth.  Quite the experience!  They had a lot of trouble getting the temporary crown off and had to pry it and poke it, and so forth to get it to pop off.  In the meantime, I got "stabbed" in the gums by the pick they were using (ouch, but yay for being VERY numb).  Kind of amazing how it feels like a real tooth, and once the gum swelling goes down I am anxious to be able to eat on both side of my mouth again!  I've decided to wait until summer to get the other 3 crowns done, though those should be a lot easier than this one to be taken care of!

So, all in all, life is good!  My crape myrtles are sprouting, my pansies are going insane crazy, and my lillies are also growing like crazy!  The "grass" (it is a decorative grass..not quite monkey grass, but something else) is out of control though and I'm tempted to pull it all out and just start over.  It spreads from year to year, and for the first time, it may just be too much LOL.  In one month, I can "obsess" over landscaping, once I am out of school and home.

Softball keeps us busy too, though more games have been rained out than we have played.  I just want to see the girls play!

I'm sure there is a ton more I could type about, but I am tired and need to head on to bed.  I've resolved to not make promises about anything on my blog here....I'll post when I can, update photos when I can, etc. Until next time.....

No comments: